'An Oral History of Paisley's Thread Mills'
Paisley People's Archive is interested in the social and cultural history of Renfrewshire's most famous historic town. Paisley was world-famous as a centre of weaving and thread milling from the 18th century. The focus of the Heritage Lottery funded project was the surviving workers and managers from Paisley's many thread mills in the period from just before the Second World War to the 1990s, when the last mill closed. Fifty oral history interviews were conducted and digitally recorded by volunteers trained and mentored by Sue Morrison, who was also our project manager. The interviews were structured around workers’ and managers’ experiences of work, the workplace, rest breaks and leisure activities; documentary research provides the social and economic historical context to those memories. Significantly, nothing of this nature existed prior to this project.
In addition to this original archive, the project produced a fantastic website, an amazing photographic gallery, two wonderful heritage trail films and booklets, and a memoryscape that brought tears to the eyes of our respondents as they listened to their old friends’ reminiscences. Ultimately, the project far exceeded our expectations!
Oral History Research & Training Consultancy
Oral history heritage professionals serving Scotland and the UK
- 'Back to the Future, West Lothian!'
- 'Sandend Beach - Memories and Concerns'
- 'Hellenic Glasgow - an oral history'
- Govan Fair's 'Treasures in our Midst'
- 'Glasgow's African Tales'
- Pennylands Camp 22 - Dumfries House Estate
- Macduff Revival
- 'Twechar: An oral history of a pit village'
- Dunoon & Cowal Oral History Project
- 'Everyday People: Untold Stories'
- John Gray Centre, Haddington
- Perth Theatre Heritage Project
- Oral History at The Marie Trust
- ‘Securing the Memories’ of Gairloch Parish
- 'CELEBRATE: LGBT Cumbria'
- 'Paisley's Enchanted Threads'
- 'She Settles in the Shields'
- 'Holy Loch Heritage - the American Presence'
- 'Gie’s Peace'
- 'Jeely Jars and Seeing Stars': Glasgow’s Love Affair with the Movies
- 'An Oral History of Paisley's Thread Mills'
- 'East Dunbartonshire's War: WWI'
- 'Now Your Turn, Glasgow': An oral history of Easterhouse
- Glasgow Theatre Royal: 'An Oral History'
- 'Govanhill People's History'
- 'Diving for Pearls'
- 'Dunfermline's Museum & Art Gallery Project - "Speaking Of..." '
- 'Walking Back to the Future'