'Diving for Pearls,' an oral history of shipbuilding in Govan
(Govan, Glasgow, Scotland)
'Diving for Pearls' was a year-long participatory, multi-media project which the Govan & Craigton Integration Network delivered with funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund. Inspired by Clive Langer and Elvis Costello’s song 'Shipbuilding' it explored the cultural, social and economic impact of the shipbuilding industry on the population of Govan by focusing on and bringing together people with migrant histories: from the descendants of Highland and Irish settlers to the more recent arrivals from Europe, as well as asylum seekers and refugees from around the world.
We commissioned Dr Sue Morrison to deliver oral history research training to several teams of volunteers, many of them were recent migrants to Scotland and translators relayed the training to non-English speaking volunteers., which made for some interesting discussions! Afterwards, the project was able to record and use oral history interviews to learn and disseminate personal stories, shared experiences and common ground behind the shipbuilding industry along the beautiful River Clyde.
Oral History Research & Training Consultancy
Oral history heritage professionals serving Scotland and the UK
- 'Back to the Future, West Lothian!'
- 'Sandend Beach - Memories and Concerns'
- 'Hellenic Glasgow - an oral history'
- Govan Fair's 'Treasures in our Midst'
- 'Glasgow's African Tales'
- Pennylands Camp 22 - Dumfries House Estate
- Macduff Revival
- 'Twechar: An oral history of a pit village'
- Dunoon & Cowal Oral History Project
- 'Everyday People: Untold Stories'
- John Gray Centre, Haddington
- Perth Theatre Heritage Project
- Oral History at The Marie Trust
- ‘Securing the Memories’ of Gairloch Parish
- 'CELEBRATE: LGBT Cumbria'
- 'Paisley's Enchanted Threads'
- 'She Settles in the Shields'
- 'Holy Loch Heritage - the American Presence'
- 'Gie’s Peace'
- 'Jeely Jars and Seeing Stars': Glasgow’s Love Affair with the Movies
- 'An Oral History of Paisley's Thread Mills'
- 'East Dunbartonshire's War: WWI'
- 'Now Your Turn, Glasgow': An oral history of Easterhouse
- Glasgow Theatre Royal: 'An Oral History'
- 'Govanhill People's History'
- 'Diving for Pearls'
- 'Dunfermline's Museum & Art Gallery Project - "Speaking Of..." '
- 'Walking Back to the Future'